Tierney Alumni House

 

5510 Woodward Ave
N of Warren Ave at Ferry St
Detroit MI 48202-3804 USA

geo: 42.361428,-83.067069

 
Designed by architect Louis Kamper as the private residence of Col. Frank Joseph Hecker, this building was constructed from 1888 to 1891 in the French Renaissance Chateauesque style. It was later used as a showroom of Smiley Brothers Music Company. Located in the Ferry Street Historic District and two blocks north of the Detroit Institute of Arts, Hecker House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. The law firm of Charfoos & Christensen purchased and fully restored the building in the early 1990s. It is now home to the Wayne State University Alumni Association and the Office of Alumni Relations.